A Winter Storm Warning is in effect for Jefferson, Lewis & Oswego counties until 10am Monday. A Winter Weather Advisory is in effect for Northern Herkimer County until 10am Monday.
A Winter Storm Warning means severe winter weather is expected. Heavy snow and/or ice will cause hazardous driving conditions.
In this particular Winter Storm Warning & Weather Advisory, here is what we are watching:Lake effect snow will fly due east of Lake Ontario overnight. Additionally a cold front will slide in from the north and this will intensify the lake snow bands. Heavy snow at times will drop south to the Syracuse area by sunrise Monday. The most snowfall will be over the Tug Hill with much less south of Syracuse. Check out Interactive Doppler Radar and Triple Doppler Radar to see where the heaviest snow is. While many areas will receive tarce-2" of snow, up to 3-6" of snow will be likely in the steadier snow, especially on the Tug Hill.
If your area has a Winter Storm Warning, here is what you should do: -- Know which county you live in, and where you are in relation to steady snow.-- While the amount of snow in the advisory area will not be overwhelming, enough snow will occur to cause snow covered and slippery conditions, especially on untreated and unplowed roads.-- Have a winter storm kit ready in your car in case you are stranded.-- Keep an eye on Interactive Doppler and Triple Doppler radars on CNYcentral.com.-- Keep your phone with your CNYcentral mobile app turned on so if warnings are issued you will know.-- Periodically check NBC-3, CBS-5 and CW-6 for updates.Stay updated with this situation with these links: -- Interactive Doppler Radar -- Triple Doppler Radar -- Lightning Strikes-- Watches/Warnings: (Make sure to hit the 'F5' key to refresh the page.) -- Follow CNY Central Meteorologists on Twitter : http://twitter.com/CNYcentral/cnycentralweather If you see any severe weather, please let us know on Facebook or by e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com .
Here is detailed information on this warning from the National Weather Service:
JEFFERSON-LEWIS-INCLUDING THE CITIES OF...WATERTOWN...LOWVILLE528 PM EST SUN JAN 19 2014
...WINTER STORM WARNING IN EFFECT UNTIL 9 AM EST MONDAY...
THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN BUFFALO HAS ISSUED A WINTER STORMWARNING FOR HEAVY SNOW AND BLOWING SNOW...WHICH IS IN EFFECTUNTIL 9 AM EST MONDAY. THE WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY IS NO LONGERIN EFFECT.
* LOCATIONS...JEFFERSON AND LEWIS COUNTIES
* TIMING...THROUGH LATE MONDAY MORNING.
* HAZARDS...HEAVY SNOW AND BLOWING SNOW.
* ACCUMULATIONS...STORM TOTAL SNOWFALL OF 6 TO 10 INCHES. HIGHEST FOCUSED ACROSS THE TUG HILL.
* WINDS...WEST 20 TO 30 MPH WITH GUSTS TO 50 MPH.
* VISIBILITIES...A HALF MILE OR LESS AT TIMES.
* IMPACTS...SNOW AND BLOWING SNOW CAUSING BRIEF WHITEOUT CONDITIONS. SNOW ACCUMULATING AND DRIFTING ACROSS ROADWAYS WILL MAKE FOR HAZARDOUS TRAVEL.
NORTHERN HERKIMER-INCLUDING THE CITIES OF...ATWELL...BIG MOOSE...EAGLE BAY...MCKEEVER...NOBLEBORO...NORTHWOOD...OLD FORGE352 PM EST SUN JAN 19 2014
...WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY REMAINS IN EFFECT UNTIL 10 AM ESTMONDAY...
* LOCATIONS...NORTHERN HERKIMER COUNTY.
* HAZARD TYPES...SNOW AND BLOWING SNOW.
* SNOW ACCUMULATIONS...4 TO 6 INCHES.
* TIMING...SNOW SHOWERS WILL EVOLVE INTO A STEADY LIGHT TO MODERATE SNOW TONIGHT. THE SNOW WILL TAPER OFF TO SNOW SHOWERS AND FLURRIES BY MONDAY MORNING.
* IMPACTS...SNOW COVERED ROADS...AS WELL AS FALLING AND BLOWING SNOW MAKING FOR REDUCED VISIBILITY...WILL RESULT IN HAZARDOUS TRAVEL.
* WINDS...WEST 10 TO 20 MPH WITH GUSTS UP TO 35 MPH.
* TEMPERATURES...8 TO 23 DEGREES.