Winter storm warnings & advisories continue through Thursday morning.
***UPDATED AT 5:30 AM WEDNESDAY***
A WINTER STORM WARNING has been issued for the following counties:
--Oswego, Jefferson, and Lewis counties until 8 AM Thursday.
--Onondaga, Madison, Oneida, Cortland, Tompkins, & southern Cayuga counties until 5 AM Thursday.
A WINTER STORM WARNING means that travel conditions will be very difficult at times due to accumulating snow, and blowing/drifting snow. Visibility will be significantly reduced at times in heavy snow. Accumulations will be heavier in the winter storm warning areas versus winter weather advisory areas.
A WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY has been issued for the following counties:
--Chenango, Otsego, Yates, Seneca, and Schuyler counties until 5 AM Thursday.
--Ontario, Wayne, and northern Cayuga until 6 AM Thursday.
A WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY means accumulating snow will occur in the counties mentioned above. However, amounts should not be severe or as much as the warning areas. However, some localized travel difficulties may occur due to some accumulation. Be prepared for slick and slippery conditions, especially on untreated roads.
Quick overview of what to expect:
• Everyone will get additional snow during Thursday and Thursday night.
• The worst weather to travel in will be later Wednesday afternoon through Wednesday evening and a good chunk of Wednesday night.
• This time period shown above will be when the snowfall rates should be heaviest.
• This time period should also have the strongest wind gusts of 30-40 MPH causing blowing & drifting snow & at times much worse visibility.
• There will be variable accumulations across CNY. Highest accumulation of new snow will occur over the higher elevations.
• Different surfaces will receive different amounts of sticking snow, especially during the daytime hours today.
To find out exactly how much new snow you will get between 4 AM Wednesday and 8 AM Thursday watch NBC3 and CBS5. We will also have hour-by-hour & place-by-place specifics regarding the snow and gusty wind.
If your area has a winter storm alerts, here is what you should do:
-- Keep an eye on Interactive Doppler and Triple Doppler radars on CNYcentral.com.
-- Keep your phone with your CNYcentral mobile app turned on so if warnings are issued you will know.
-- Periodically check NBC-3, CBS-5 and CW-6 for updates on the weather and possible issuance of lake effect snow warnings and advisories.
-- Know which county you live in, and where you are in relation to other counties, especially if you are travelling.
-- If you need to travel, be prepared for very difficult driving conditions.
-- Have a winter storm kit ready in your car in case you are stranded.