There were a variety of conflicting reports Wednesday afternoon about whether a suspect has been arrested in connection with the Boston Marathon bombings.
The AP reported that a suspect has been taken into coustody and about an hour later reported that there was no arrest. Similarly,
CNN first reported there was an arrest, and shortly later reported that no arrest was made. The Boston Globe also initially reported an arrest, then no arrest.
NBC reports that there was no arrest.
At 2:33 p.m., the Boston Police tweeted, "Despite reports to the contrary there has not been an arrest in the Marathon attack."
Following that, at 2:57 p.m., the FBI tweeted, "No arrest made in bombing investigation."
The Associated Press is now reporting that federal officials deny that a Boston Marathon bombing suspect is in custody. A law enforcement official briefed on the investigation told the AP, but the FBI and the U.S. attorney's office in Boston dispute that.
The official who spoke to The Associated Press did so on condition of anonymity and stood by the information even after it was disputed. The official was not authorized to divulge details of the investigation. The official had said the suspect was expected in federal court in Boston. Reporters and police have converged at the courthouse.
According to CNN, a suspect was identified from two surveillance videos taken at a Lord & Taylor store between the two bomb blasts.
Law enforcement agencies had earlier pleaded for the public to come forward with photos, videos or any information that might help them solve the twin bombings that killed three people and wounded more than 170 on Monday.
Investigators circulated information about the bombs, which involved kitchen pressure cookers packed with explosives, nails and other lethal shrapnel. But the FBI said nobody had claimed responsibility.
A person close to the investigation had previously told AP the bombs consisted of explosives put in 1.6-gallon pressure cookers, one with shards of metal and ball bearings, the other with nails.An intelligence bulletin issued to law enforcement includes a picture of a mangled pressure cooker and a torn black bag that the FBI said were part of a bomb that exploded during the marathon.
Investigators in white jumpsuits had fanned out across the streets, rooftops and awnings around the blast site in search of clues on Wednesday. They combed through debris amid the toppled orange sports drink dispensers, trash cans and sleeves of plastic cups strewn across the street at the marathon's finish line.
A news conference is scheduled for 5:00 p.m.(Information from the Associated Press was used in this report.)
President Barack Obama branded the attack an act of terrorism. Obama plans to attend an interfaith service Thursday in the victims' honor in Boston.