N. Korea warns of a 'merciless strike' in response to U.S.- South Korea drills
WASHINGTON (Sinclair Broadcast Group) - North Korea has issued another warning against the United States and South Korea, Sunday. The message from Rodong Sinmun, the official government newspaper, according to CNN.
The report said they issued the warning as a response to the US-South Korea military drill taking place in the region. The North Korean paper called the exercises "reckless behavior driving the situation into the uncontrollable phase of a nuclear war."
CNN also reported that Pyongyang declared that their military can strike the United States at any time. They added that the U.S. and its territories cannot "dodge the merciless strike."
North Korea said last week that its nuclear program will not put its nuclear program on the table in negotiations with the U.S. North Korea's deputy U.N. ambassador Kim In Ryong said that leader Kim Jong Un's has decided to "watch a little longer the conduct of the foolish and stupid Yankees."
Marine Corps Gen. Joseph Dunford said during a news conference Thursday that the U.S. will not dial back its military exercises in the region with South Korea.
"As long as the threat in North Korea exists we need to maintain a high state of readiness to respond to that threat," Dunford said.
North Korea has claimed that the drills scheduled to take place are a prelude to invasion but Washington and Seoul said they are defensive and vital to deterring North Korean aggression.
Drills will begin on Monday and continue for 10 days.