Shooter, 3 others dead and 16 wounded in Fort Hood shooting

Military officials at Fort Hood confirmed Wednesday night that four people, including the gunman, are dead and 16 others were wounded after a shooting at the military base. It's the second shooting attack to happen at Fort Hood in five years.

The shooter was identified as a solider. The commanding officer at Fort Hood, Lt. Gen. Mark Milley said he served four months in Iraq in 2011 and was being evaluated for PTSD.

According to Milley, the gunman used a .45 caliber Smith & Wesson semi-automatic pistol that had been purchased recently. Milley also said there are no indications this incident was related to terrorism.

All-clear sirens sounded at Fort Hood as the lockdown was lifted hours after the deadly shooting.

The injured were taken to Darnall Army Community Hospital at Fort Hood and other local hospitals. Dr. Glen Couchman, chief medical officer at Scott and White Hospital in Temple, said the first four people admitted there had gunshots to chest, abdomen, neck and extremities and that their conditions range from stable to "quite critical."

The Texas Army base was the scene of a mass shooting in 2009. Thirteen people were killed and more than 30 wounded in what was the deadliest attack on a domestic military installation in history.

In a hastily arranged statement, Obama said he and his team were following the situation closely but that details about what happened at the sprawling Army post were still fluid. He said the shooting brought back painful memories of the 2009 attack.

Obama reflected on the sacrifices that troops stationed at Fort Hood have made - including during multiple tours to Iraq and Afghanistan.

"They serve with valor, they serve with distinction and when they're at their home base, they need to feel safe," Obama said. "We don't yet know what happened tonight, but obviously that sense of safety has been broken once again."

The president spoke without notes or prepared remarks in the same room of a steakhouse where he had just met with about 25 donors at a previously scheduled fundraiser for the Democratic National Committee. White House officials quickly pushed tables to the side of the room to make room for Obama to speak to the nation.

The November 2009 attack at Fort Hood happened inside a crowded building where soldiers were waiting to get vaccines and routine paperwork after recently returning from deployments or while preparing to go to Afghanistan and Iraq.

Army psychiatrist Nidal Hasan was convicted and sentenced to death last year in that mass shooting.

(Information from the Associated Press was used in this article)