62 / 35
      40 / 25
      44 / 29

      Imam fears moving NYC mosque could inflame tension

      New York's governor says the imam behind the proposed Islamic community center near ground zero has offered an "opening" with his latest comments about the debate.

      Imam Feisal Abdul Rauf said Wednesday that if he'd known "it would cause this kind of pain," he might have chosen a different location.

      Gov. David Paterson said Thursday he saw Rauf's comments as a move "in the right direction."

      Paterson declined to comment on Rauf's remarks that the mosque issue has become so politicized that moving it could endanger national security.

      Paterson spoke on "The John Gambling Show" on WOR Radio. Rauf spoke on CNN.

      More from the Associated Press:

      The imam behind a proposed Islamic community center and mosque near ground zero cautioned Wednesday that moving the facility could cause a violent backlash from Muslim extremists and endanger national security.

      Imam Feisal Abdul Rauf told CNN that the discourse surrounding the center has become so politicized that moving it could strengthen the ability of extremists abroad to recruit and wage attacks against Americans, including troops fighting in the Middle East.

      "The headlines in the Muslim world will be that Islam is under attack," he said, but he added that he was open to the idea of moving the planned location of the center, currently two blocks north of the World Trade Center site.

      "But if you don't do this right, anger will explode in the Muslim world," he later said, predicting that the reaction could be more furious than the eruption of violence following the 2005 publication of Danish cartoons of the Prophet Muhammad.

      Opponents say the center, which would include a Sept. 11 memorial and a Muslim prayer space, should be moved farther away from where Islamic extremists destroyed the World Trade Center and killed nearly 2,800 people. Supporters say religious freedom should be protected.

      Rauf, 61, has largely been absent since the debate over the center erupted earlier this year. He has been traveling abroad, including taking a State Department-funded 15-day trip to the Middle East to promote religious tolerance.

      In the interview with CNN's Soledad O'Brien, his first since returning to the U.S. on Sunday, Rauf responded to a number of questions that have been raised about the project.

      He said money to develop the center would be raised domestically for the most part.

      "And we'll be very transparent on how we raise money," he said, adding that no funds would be accepted from sources linked to extremists.

      Rauf said that, in retrospect, he might have chosen a different location for what he described as a multifaith community center.

      "If I knew this would happen, if it would cause this kind of pain, I wouldn't have done it," he said.