Syracuse guard Michael Carter-Williams to enter NBA Draft
Wed, 10 Apr 2013 19:38:48 GMT —
Syracuse University says point guard Michael Carter-Williams has opted to enter the NBA Draft.
Head coach Jim Boeheim announced the decision Wednesday afternoon, according to a statement from the university's athletics department.
"Michael has informed me of his intention to enter the NBA Draft," said Boeheim. "He's coming off a tremendous season and we appreciate all he's done for Syracuse basketball. We wish Michael the best of luck as he pursues a pro career."
Carter-Williams, a sophomore, started all 40 games this season and helped lead the Orange to the NCAA Tournament Final Four. He averaged 11.9 points per game and was among the national leaders in assists (7.3, fifth) and steals (2.78, fourth). He led the team in playing time with 35.2 minutes per game after averaging only 10.3 his freshman season.
In addition to his success on the court, Carter-Williams has some personal issues off of it. In December it was reported that he allegedly was involved in a shoplifting incident at Destiny USA, then late last month his family's home in Massachussetts caught fire and burned while he was playing in the NCAA tournament in San Jose, California.
Carter-Williams leaves Syracuse University with two years of eligibility remaining. He would be eligible to return to school if he withdraws his name from the draft pool and does not hire an agent.