Syracuse Officer shot

The dark car on the right is the one Syracuse Officer's were in just before a suspect started shooting at them. / Photograph by Matt Mulcahy.

The red and blue flashing lights could be seen from several blocks away as I pulled closer to the shooting scene on South Salina Street. The radio chatter talked about an officer being shot. As I walked up to the yellow police tape I started talking with officers who I know. They were reluctant to give details. Then more information began to come. Finally an emotional Police Chief Gary Miguel came under the tape and told me one of his guys had been shot and "he is very, very fortunate to be alive today."

The Chief is accustomed to sharing news with the public about some of the terrible events that happen in our community. But, having to say the words that one of his officers had been shot was not easy.

The Chief pointed to the two cars in front of a laundromat across the street. That's where the struggle began between the two officers and the suspect. By now there were more than twenty police cars, a half mile of police tape, lights, cameras and evidence technicians everywhere. The top Assistant District Attorney was there.

The Chief told us the officers pulled over the car, there was a struggle, a chase and exchange of gunfire. The officers killed the suspect. Later during out 11:00 news we had Chief Miguel on live talking more about the details of what happened.

He started by going back one week. The Crime Analysis team had put out an officer safety bulletin about a 33 year old parolee named James Tyson. He was known to carry a silver revolver with a wood handle. The bulletin included a description of his car. That car caught the eye of these two officers tonight while they were working the specialty Street Crime Unit.

Chief Miguel says they pulled the car over and approached. They then got into a struggle with Tyson. He pulled out that revolver. The officers ducked for cover. Tyson's gunfire struck one in the shoulder and in the back. The bullet to the back was lodged in the officer's bullet proof vest. A doctor at University Hospital said tonight he would surely be dead if not for the vest. The bullet actually penetrated the vest and pushed into the officer wrapped in the vest.

That officer then joined his partner in pursuing Tyson around the corner onto Walrath Road. There was a further exchange of gunfire. Witnesses told police that was where one of the officers fired that deadly shot into Tyson. Police recovered that silver revolved on the scene.

The officer was rushed to the hospital. He's expected to be alright. Paramedics worked on Tyson at the scene, but to no avail.

Chief Miguel commended all of his officers for the work they do every night and the danger they face. It's too soon for the department to release the names of the officers. Counseling and time off will be offered to both. They deserve it for taking a dangerous man off the streets.

You can always read the blog on

Follow me on Twitter at


Find me on

Any questions or comment please forward them to I may even use some of your thoughts on Action News at 10:00 on CW6 or on

The opinions expressed in this blog are the sole responsibility of the author and are not reflective of the views or opinions of Barrington Broadcasting, WSTM-NBC3, its management or employees.