Niko Tamurian is the Sports Director at CNY Central.
Niko leads the charge on CNY Central’s award winning sports coverage, establishing the sports department as the authority on Central New York sports.
Niko has been nominated for the prestigious Emmy Award as well as winning the “Oustanding Sportscast” by the New York State Broadcasters Association, The Edward R. Murrow Award and many Syracuse Press Club Awards including Best Sportscast, Best Sports Story, Best Sports Show, Best Human Interest Feature Story and Newcomer of the Year in 2008.
Niko joined the CNY Central team in 2007.
He co-hosts “The Orange Zone” with former Syracuse running back Damien Rhodes in football season and Assistant Coach Adrian Autry during basketball season.
It has been Niko’s dream to report on the sports teams that he grew up rooting for. A true Central New Yorker, Niko has been die-hard Syracuse University sports fan his whole life.
Niko grew up in East Syracuse, graduating from East Syracuse-Minoa High School in 2003. He earned his bachelor’s degree from SUNY Buffalo State after earning his Associates Degree from Onondaga Community College.
In 2012, Niko was forever enshrined in OCC’s “Alumni Faces” which features accomplished alumni, you can see the display in the Gordon Student Center at OCC. Niko currently teaches “Sportscasting” in the college’s Electronic Media Communications Deptartment as well.
In his free time, Niko is an avid golfer, and while he’s earned a few eagles is still chasing that elusive hole-in-one.
Niko’s favorite way to spend free time is with his wife Farah and the couple’s dogs, the aforementioned Jack, a Black Lab recue named Bear, and a Pug rescue named Bogey (in honor of his most frequent golf score)
Niko is proud to be able to give back to his home community, which he does by volunteering at Helping Hounds Dog Rescue and serving in honorary roles on several boards across the area including being a major proponent of the Challenger Field of Dreams meant to give our special needs little leaguers their own home field.
Niko is proud to deliver the latest news and stories of his fellow Central New Yorkers, all while giving back to the community he’s called home his entire life.
Just as importantly, he thrives on telling the compelling sports stories that you can only find at CNYCentral.com.
• Memorable Stories: Courtside reporting for SU-UConn 6 OT game, Covering every step of SU’s road to the Final Four in 2013 & 2016, Touring the Boxing Hall of Fame in Canastota with Mike Tyson, and SU Football’s snow-covered win over West Virginia in the Pinstripe Bowl.
• Memorable Interview: Shaquille O’Neal, Andy Hazeltine, the father of little Ocasio who at 5 years old inspired an entire CNY community.
• Dream Interview: Roger Maris
• Role Model: Jim Valvano
• Favorite TV Show: A lot of History Channel, "The Last Ship”, ”Walking Dead”, “Wayward Pines” “The Office” “Parks and Recreation”
• Favorite Food: Pasta
• Favorite Destination: The Carrier Dome