Cicero Swamp mosquito spraying scheduled for Sunday
The Cicero Swamp and the immediate surrounding areas will be sprayed for Eastern Equine Encephalitis Virus on Sunday, Aug.19 after 7:00 p.m., according to the Onondaga County Health Department.
The areas south of Route 31, East of Northern Boulevard, north of Taft Road and west by the county line will be sprayed. For a map of the areas being sprayed, click here.
Officials said the weather conditions on Sunday do not favor spraying, the next day will be announced.
Health department officials say the pesticide Kontrol 30-30 will be used for spraying. The pesticide is registered with the Environmental Protection Agency and the New York State Division of Environmental Conservation. For a copy of the pesticide label, click here, or call 315-435-1649.
If you live near the spray area, from 7:00 p.m. to 10:00 p.m. on the day of scheduled spraying, you are recommended to:
- Stay indoors and keep your windows closed for one hour after the area has been sprayed.
- Keep your pets indoors if possible.
- Set your window air conditioners to circulate indoor air. It is safe to use your central air conditioning.
- Keep outdoor gardens covered and rinse vegetables before eating.
- Be sure children’s toys, outdoor furniture, and clothes on outdoor clotheslines are brought inside. If toys or clothes are left outdoors, wash each thoroughly with soap and water before using and launder clothes before wearing.
- Close your car windows and car vents if you are driving during the spraying.
For more information about the spraying and protecting yourself from mosquitoes, click here.