Syracuse denies permit request for group planning 'America First Rally'
SYRACUSE, N.Y. —
The City of Syracuse has denied a permit request from ACT for America, which had planned an "America First Rally" for September 9th, according to a spokesperson from Mayor Stephanie Miner's office.
ACT for America had planned to hold the rally in support of President Trump's national security policies.
The permit was denied due to public safety concerns because two other previously scheduled events - the Irish Festival and a Syracuse University football game - will require police resources, the spokesperson said.
In a release posted to its website Monday, ACT for America said it "denounced the violent criminal behavior in Charlottesville, Va. that led to the death of a protestor" and had the following to say about its planned nationwide "America First Rally" next month:
For their coming “America First” rallies to be held around the country on September 9th, ACT for America has advised participants of their zero-tolerance policy for hate and intolerance, saying in part: “We welcome all, discriminate against none, and require that our members behave at all times peacefully and with honor. Accordingly, any organizations or individuals advocating violence or hatred towards anyone based on race, religion, or affiliation are not welcome at this rally.”
CNYCentral has reached out to ACT for America, as well as two people who are listed on the local event's Facebook page as hosts, for comment.