Talk of deal giving NTSB full access to Schoharie limo premature
NISKAYUNA, N.Y. (WRGB) - As CBS 6 first reported, talk of a deal to give the NTSB full access to examine the limo involved in the Schoharie crash that killed 20 was premature.
Rep. Paul Tonko’s office sent out a revision of their earlier statement that an agreement had been reached, saying the NTSB asked for a revision to say terms for a final agreement remain unresolved.
"There's no date to turn it over. We are all still in the middle of doing our investigation," said defense attorney Lee Kindlon.
Kindlon is the defense attorney for Nauman Hussain, the operator of Prestige Limo who has been charged with criminally negligent homicide in the deaths case. Kindlon has been one of the key people dealing with the stalemate over the NTSB's role in the investigation.
He says there is no deal to let NTSB investigators have a thorough examination of the vehicle.
Kindlon says the latest discussion was "to decide whether there's going to be a long-term plan to manage the inspection of the vehicle. That's what we talked about today."
CBS 6 wanted to know if it's premature.
"There's not a date certain that everyone picked for the NTSB to get the vehicle," Kindlon said.
Kindlon says all that's been agreed to by the Schoharie County DA, the NTSB and the defense is "that the NTSB can argue if it gets put on a search warrant. Until now, that hasn't happened."
A conference call is in the works for Friday to talk about that issue. A report is due back to Schoharie County Judge George Bartlett, who started this ball rolling by ordering the sides to meet and the NTSB to report back .
Meanwhile, the limo is sitting under a tent at Troop G headquarters.
As CBS 6 first reported last month, the NTSB wanted to build a shed to house the vehicle and protect evidence. Kindlon says his correspondence indicates the shed is built and there's talk of moving the limo once logistics can be solved.
"We all want to be there to make sure it's done the right way," Kindlon said.