MENU
component-ddb-728x90-v1-01-desktop

Beto O'Rourke decides against second Senate run

Former Democratic Texas congressman Beto O'Rourke laughs as with Oprah Winfrey presses him to make the announcement that he is running for president during a live interview on a Times Square stage at "Oprah's SuperSoul Conversations from Times Square," Tuesday, Feb. 5, 2019, in New York. O'Rourke dazzled Democrats in 2018 by nearly defeating Republican Sen. Ted Cruz in the country's largest red state. O'Rourke says he'll announce whether he'll run for president "before the end of the month." (AP Photo/Kathy Willens)

Former Rep. Beto O'Rourke has decided to forgo a second run for Senate, according to a source with knowledge of the decision.

O'Rourke is likely to announce his bid for president in the coming weeks, the source added.

"Amy and I have made a decision about how we can best serve our country," O'Rourke said in a statement provided by his spokesman. "We are excited to share it with everyone soon."

The news was first reported by The Dallas Morning News.

O’Rourke previously said he would make a decision about a run for president by the end of February.

The 46-year-old rose to national prominence during his senate race last year against Ted Cruz. O’Rourke lost the race by less than three points – just about 215,00 votes – in a historically red state that has not elected a democrat to the Senate since 1988.

O’Rourke raised over $80 million throughout the race, financial documents filed with the Federal Election Commission shows. His campaign committee, Beto for Texas, had just over a quarter of a million dollars dollars cash on hand, those documents reveal.

close video ad
Unmutetoggle ad audio on off

Trending